Openlidar.io - 39 000 square kilometres of German LIDAR data

Hello,

This is an interactive web visualisation of the German state of North Rhine-Westphalia’s (NRW) open source LIDAR data with orthophotos mapped on top. In total, its around 39’000 square kilometers, 200 billion points or two terabytes of data. I hope you like it! If you have suggestions and/or like it feel free to contact me or leave a star on GitHub.

Check out the website here (NRW Open Lidar) or see the project on GitHub.

Apologies if the website is slow, especially in the US. The data is hosted in Amsterdam (EU) with Backblaze B2, which is very cheap and cheerful but not exactly a speed machine.

Some Impressions

About
I stumbled upon this data during my bachelors thesis and thought this’d be fun for everyone to see. This website was a lot more work than anticipated (what isn’t?) and I haven’t optimised it much beyond compressing the raw data (not that I didn’t try). If you have suggestions - especially regarding three.js’ performance - I’d be more than happy to hear from you.

Lastly, I’d like to thank you all for the great piece of kit three.js is. While I’ve never asked a question here myself, the posts here have helped me out greatly!

6 Likes

Interesting, do you any have a plans of developing this further?

Sort of - the local government was interested and some others have noted use cases so I guess I’ll see where it goes. If you have ideas, let me know :wink: