Palms (on a Retrowave road)

Hi community!

Here is a pic:

And there is a working demo:
https://codepen.io/prisoner849/full/PvdEMP

In the evening I bumped into a retrowave composition, named “Palms”, performed by Quixotic.
The tune was nice and cool and I thought that it would be interesting to create a scene, like you’re on the endless straight road with palms :slight_smile:
In this scene I syncronized the speed of noise waves in a vertex shader with the speed of grid in the fragment shader, and all together is synchonized with the speed of palms (which are instances - creation of the palms was the most funny part of the process :blush:)

For better atmosphere, you can find a round button in the top left corner of the window, click it, see the soundcloud player and hit “play” :slight_smile:
Enjoy the scene :wink:

PS Criticism and advice are very welcomed :slight_smile:

14 Likes

This is really nice, I really like your solution to draw a thick line grid! And I love the color scheme.
Are you using scene.fog to fade the palms? You can see them pop into place when the sun is behind them, maybe you could write a cool distance-based alpha fade to avoid that artifact. :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing to it! :beers:
As it’s late night already, I didn’t notice such an obvious thing :smile:
Made a quick fix with scaling the palms :innocent:

2 Likes

I’m really digging the soundtrack :100:

I just love the color palette and composition, well done.

You can see them pop into place when the sun is behind them

For some reason I like that, seeing them pop into the scene kinda adds to the immersion :rofl:

2 Likes

Yeah, he updated the code so now they scale from the ground up. The behavior was different when I made the first comment.

2 Likes

Looks amazing! I’d add some sort of VHS effect and Bloom to it to make it more vaporwaveish :slight_smile:

1 Like

@oguzeroglu
Good idea! :+1:

Beautiful. Had me want to watch Miami Vice :palm_tree:

1 Like

And listen to its Crockett’s Theme :wink: :fist_right: :fist_left:

1 Like

Being a child of the 80’s, I gotta love it :rofl:

The haircut, though… Uhhhh

1 Like

Reminds me of this!
Really cool, love the 80s aesthetic!