Why does the material drop transparency settings when exporting from Maya?

Wondering if anyone has experience with exporting from Maya to threejs.

Specifically:

I’m exporting .obj and .mtl files and converting them with obj2gltf

The scene has models with semi-transparent material settings. These are lost in translation. Any ideas on how to ensure transparency settings are retained would be appreciated… thanks :slight_smile:

Do you have the same issues when trying other export options from Maya? For example:

Hi Don,

I tried the Wonder Media Maya2glTF. The outcome: transparency is possible with a texture but not a material.

I scaled back the scene to one poly cube with a phong material. The material had a semi-transparent transparency setting. I triggered the Maya2glTF script which adds the “glTF_PBR.ogsfx” file. That file overrides the initial material settings and sets a new material in the attribute editor called “GLSLShader1”.

The new material has settings but none are like the transparency slider on the initial phong material. I guess that means… no transparent materials for you! (read using the soup nazi voice).

Since materials didn’t work I tried creating a semi-transparent .png file that I used as a texture. This method does elicit semi-transparent geometry.

As instructed by the Wonder Media “To shade:” instructions I switched the Technique from Solid to Transparent.

Following that I added my texture to the selected geometry in “Base color map (sRGB)” under the “PBR Material” drop-down on the Attribute Editor. It’s this last step that needs to be done to get semi-transparent geometry in the export.

To conclude… to get semi-transparent geometry with the Wonder Media exporter… use textures, not materials.

Thanks for your help.

1 Like

Sounds like something that could be fixed in Maya2glTF itself, so probably worth filing an issue there. :slight_smile:

1 Like