Three.js and Blender

is there a benefit in learning blender? also, should you create lighting in the models and shadows via blender or do it in three.js - shaders an etc?

like this example, is this baked lighting/shadows or was this made in three.js?

Really depends what you want to do? Learning Blender will let you make whatever you want, dependent on your skills, not be dependent on what you can find for free or afford to buy.

For that example I’d say it looks like a prebaked background from the softness of the shadows, with the swappable elements being PBR rendered in three.js

1 Like

Yes, even if you don’t create stuff, then to adjust it for your project. Also Blender 2.8 is easy af, so it won’t take more than a week to get pretty fluent with the most important features.

Depends - pre-baked AO is always a good idea. As for the shadows, it depends on your project complexity and target platform. For mobile - bake. For desktop - most of the time you can get away with using PCSS, or just standard shadowmap.

Afaik Blender shaders are not 100% compatible with three.js - so keep in mind that whatever looks great in Eevee / Cycles may look quite different after rendering in three.

The app overall is made in three.js, but it does not use shadowmap, it seems to be using lightmaps.

3 Likes

wow thanks!

So if i want to get in creating interactive and amazing like that website… what should I learn? Three and blender? What in three should I really get good at then too?

Awesome, thank you!

So if i want to get in creating interactive and amazing like that website… what should I learn? Three and blender? What in three should I really get good at then too?

and what is PBR rendered in three.js?

Physically based rendering

If you are just starting out find a simple example that interests you and think of a variation on it that you can make that would make it more yours.
There a lot of resources for learning Blender and there is a three.js learning resources post on here somewhere.
Having that focus on making something simple will tell you more about the possibilities of three.js and blender than anything we can write