SimCAD 3D - 3D modeling in the browser

SimCAD 3D

Hey all! I have been developing a CAD application that is powered by THREE JS, and THREE-BVH-CSG.

Check out the demo video!

SimCAD 3D is free and allows users to Model, Print and Share all in one environment.

If you like this project and want to support it please check out my Kickstarter

UI and Interface

I have used almost every type of CAD/CAM app in existence over the last 15 years, from Autodesk, to Blender to more obscure apps for programming CMMs. I have had a lot of time to think about what could be done better.

I have spent many many hours over the last year tweaking and refining this. I have tried multiple CSG libraries and interface designs and I think this approach is by far the most intuitive. Primarily because editing is done entirely in 3D, which completely eliminates the need for work planes.

(SimCAD 3D - UI screenshots from an iPhone (left two images) and a desktop (right))

Modeling and Dimensioning

I have developed a custom Dimensioning and Constraint tool that allows for modeling and assembly in the same environment. I eventually want to expand this to allow pro users to apply full GD&T to each feature.

(SimCAD 3D - Image of various models created with SimCAD, and in-progress shots of various dimension tools)

Tool Creator

I have also developed a Tool Creator interface that will allow more advanced users to create their own custom tools. I am working on integrating tools into the asset store so users can sell them if they think the have utility outside of their specific use case.

(SimCAD 3D - Tool creator window preview and a capture of the Rectangle Pattern tool being used)

3D Slicer

The SimCAD slicer is powered by a WebAssembly port of the CURA engine. I am converting the GCODE path to an instanced mesh of tube geometries to represent the sliced model.

(SimCAD 3D - Integrated slicer window preview and a capture of user panning down layers)

Asset Store

The SimCAD asset store is a place where users can share and sell their creations. They can share individual assets or entire projects. Users can create collections of assets for quicker access.

(SimCAD 3D - Integrated Asset store window preview and a capture of an asset placed in the build environment)

Project Goals

• Keep it FREE. I want this to be a tool that will benefit small shops and individual creators.
  • Make the program simple enough for my 10 year old nephew to use.
  • Avoid 2D sketching and keep things in 3D.
  • Available on desktop and mobile devices without downloading.
  • Small file sizes for easy project transfer.
  • Built in 3D slicer
  • Built in Asset Store

Info and Support

If you want more info and to see how far along I am on each feature, check out my website

If you like this project please consider supporting my Kickstarter Campaign.
You can also help support the project by spreading the word!

I would really love any feedback or suggestions you all might have.
-Nate Rose

8 Likes

It looks promising.
I did not find how to try it, maybe I’ll have to wait 134 days. I hope that the application will support exporting and importing GLTF/GLB models, debugging CSG operations, manual interactive editing of object’s elements (e.g. individual vertices, normals, etc).

1 Like

whoa, this is awesome, soon we will be creating 3d assets with threejs and directly to threeverse engine.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately to do the fundraising campaign correctly, I really need to focus all of my energy on it, and I know if the alpha was out in the universe right now all I would want to do is work on debugging the software!

I do plan on allowing exporting GLTF/GLB on release. As far as importing, that might take a little longer. I want to ensure that imported models enjoy at least most of the same functionality as native models, which will take a while to integrate.

As far as vertex modeling, the scripts I have developed to allow for feature modification does allow for manipulating individual verts, and I do have a modified version of the transform controls to handle that scenario started. I do not think this will be ready by launch though, and the plan is to release it as a free tool in the asset store.

Again, thanks for the feedback, it really helps me to see what is important to you all!

1 Like