Running WebGL renderer on discrete graphics card

Hello :slight_smile:

Is there any way to run the WebGL renderer on a discrete graphics card on machines with integrated GPUs? I can see that my Performance Monitor shows that it uses my Intel HD Graphics card instead of the Nvidia one whenever I try to run any Three.js script. If this is an issue specific to chrome itself; is there any browser option that lets you change this setting? I have tried changing the chrome://flags and setting Override software rendering list to true but this still shows up as GL_RENDERER ANGLE (Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 Direct3D11 vs_5_0 ps_5_0) when seen in chrome://gpu. Have also tried powerPreference: "high-performance" when creating THREE.WebGLRenderer but no luck.

1 Like

What system are you using? Windows, Mac, or other? This is a system setting you have to set up through your operating system, not something Three.js or your browser has control over.

I think the browser does have control here - as long as the system gives the option of using either GPU, then the browser has to decide which on to use. powerPreference: "high-performance" is supposed to be a hint to the browser to use the discrete GPU in this case. Unfortunately, at this time it looks like only Firefox supports it.

There may be system settings you can adjust to force the browser to use the discrete GPU, however.

2 Likes