Petals 2020 (for NY contest)

Hi, community!

Here is a picture:

And here is a live demo:

Partially ispired by visuals of Shangri-La locations from “Far Cry 4”.
It was very pleasant to work on it. The scene consists of several elements: a circle mesh (ground), a loaded model of tree, two point clouds (one for tree flowers, another one for petals themselves).
I like the result I achieve for that effect of imitation of floating petals in the whirl. It was created with shaping functions and rotation of UV coordinates (for more details, see the prototype).
Distribution of flowers on the tree became possible thanks to MeshSurfaceSampler (from @donmccurdy :metal:), shaping and colouring are done in shaders.

The scene was made for the contest on this discord server.

PS A short instruction: 1. Wait till it loads 100%, 2. See a soundcloud widget, 3. Click its “Play” button and enjoy. :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Hey @prisoner849,

Looks awesome!

A couple of comments:

• I love the rotating petals, they looks very pretty
  • I like animation on the ground, also lovely
  • 2020 is not very clear, i suggest looking into it a bit more, add a faint text geometry around it or something, to make it easier for a human brain to see it as 2020
  • Maybe add a bit of noise to the motion if you can :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks really magical as is, great job

2 Likes

True, I had that idea with a slightly visible text-shaping mesh, but in the end I decided to leave it as is to keep it more abstract :slight_smile:

Another great thing for the New Year :+1: :+1: :+1:

I wear :eyeglasses: and am not the youngest, but the 2020 is clearly in front of my mind. The new year is as relaxed as the tree blossoms.

3 Likes

tenor

2 Likes

Simply awesome !

1 Like

@Usnul @hofk @ben @felixmariotto Thanks, guys :wink: :beers:

1 Like

Hey, Alex! :slight_smile:
I didn’t get what animation you mean. The ground stays still (so the scene a whole), it’s just camera’s .autoRotate is set to true. And 2020 follows the azimuthal angle of the camera on XZ plane :slight_smile:

I mean the petals, they spin around on the ground. I figured that it’s all the same shader later, following your link to shadertoy. Great job :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very beautiful and serene :relaxed:

By the way if you can’t see the 2020 letters easily you can try squinting or viewing through a tiny gap in your fingers.

1 Like

Thanks! :beers:

That’s what I did myself :sweat_smile: