New user converted to Three.js

Hello all, new user here:

After hearing and seeing so many good things about Three.js, I have decided to focus on using it for my projects.

The following is the current project that I have in mind. Please watch this YouTube video:

It’s all about angles and distances

and the web based application that I am planning to use in order to mock the program seen above:

http://www.dealey-plaza.org/this-government-as-promised/SBT-MBT-Tools/Haags-Measurement-Tool/

(Notice that you can draw up to two vectors).

That is what I have so far, let’s see what I want to add. I intend to hire somebody, a Freelancer, to design a 3D model of a rigged nose. It will be placed on the face of one of those guys. As the vector is stretched, the Pinocchio nose will shrink and grow. Appropriate music will be played (“Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies”)

Any tips? Hints? Advice?

What format of 3D model should I use? Any recommended technology?

TIA,

-Ramon F. Herrera
JFK Numbers

ps: All my projects are Free Open Source, if anybody wants the source code for that app, just ask.

Hi welcome to the forum,

The recommended file type for three.js is GLTF. You import it in your scene with GLTFLoader. Notice in the doc code snippet that you can use DRACOLoader on top of it, draco is an open-source lib for compressing meshes. With big models it can compress your model down to 10% of its original size, it’s a must to reduce page load time and improve user experience. You can use Cesium gltf-pipeline to encode your GLTF file, you install it globally via NPM then type gltf-pipeline -i myModel.gltf -d in your console in your model’s directory.

Hope that helps, good luck for your project :wink:

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

Here you will find a large number of solutions to various questions. So that you can find them in the abundance of questions (already over 17000) I have collected them. See if there is something for you.

1 Like