Hiding the delay

Hi,
I’m getting a slight delay between the code clearing all objects from a scene and creating the new scene. This delay is expected as I’m not loading a model but creating each geo etc via the code.

I’m trying to find an effective way to hide or mask this delay, while the new scene is created.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have tried wrapping the code in a loader, but is not really an option, as the delay is very short and the loader becomes more annoying than the jump between the scenes.

Short capture of creating two new scenes and the jump/ delay between the scenes.
Thanks

1. Don’t clear previous state before new one is ready.
  2. You can move heavy calculations to a worker thread to try and speed up the entire process - but results will vary between devices. Your best bet would be to just create a pleasant UX, some loader or prefab to be shown while the calculations are being calculated.
2 Likes

I second the recommendation of moving your geometry generation to a worker, but I would also strongly suggest profiling the code to identify what the actual bottleneck is. Generating geometry for something like that staircase structure should be relatively instantaneous, so there may be some optimization to be done there.

Hi and thanks.

I looked at worker but would not work in my case, so I think a loader with an extend time to be visible would work.!

Chrome DevTools - Chrome 58 में JavaScript सीपीयू प्रोफ़ाइलिंग  |  Blog  |  Chrome for Developers.

Hi and thanks for the posts.

I just removed the calls to all functions apart from those creating the geometries and the slight delay goes away.

Whilst creating the geometries I am storing and creating part data for costing and individual component export to STL.

So it looks like I need a slightly different approach to how I store the necessary information and move all calculations for these parts until after the scene has fully rendered.

Thanks again.

1 Like