HDR 3D Histogram / Inspector

Hi all,

It’s not unusual to receive converted, clamped, or even plain SDR files encoded as HDR from our clients. I’ve built a simple tool for people to inspect HDR files before sending them over to production, hopefully saving both parties some time, while educating people a bit in the pitfalls of HDR imaging.

Ofc this tool is very crude for now and lacks professional-grade actual inspection, but it serves the purpose as it runs in the browser where anybody in the workflow can test, thanks to WebGL.

Feel free to use, suggest, make a PR, drop the bombs etc. But please have mercy, it’s the first time I share a personal tool, not meant to go public. :sweat_smile:
All suggestions and criticism are welcome.

The idea is quite simple: Solids are in the SDR spectrum. Wireframes are HDR. You can toggle both, tweak the scale factors, change color etc, to better visualize.
Hope it helps more folks.

https://abgrac.github.io/HDRhist3D

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your work, although it is “a personal tool, not meant to go public”.

It looks impressive, although I do not have suitable files to really try it. If you plan to let others use it, you might consider providing some short explanation, tutorial and/or sample files.

The only issues that I found are:

• if all folders in the control panel are opened, I cannot scroll and see the ones at the bottom
  • the shadow set by HRD|More|castShadow looks strange