FBX || DAE to GLB Conversion, Anyone got it working?

Hi,

Anyone got details on how to convert a FBX or DAE from mixamo to GLB for use in three?

I’ve tried loading up the models in blender and exporting the glb file but the animations are lost.

The following code:

this.mixer = new THREE.AnimationMixer( this.model );
console.log(this.mixer); // NULL

The solider.glb that comes with the three examples will log an object for the above code, using either fbx or fbx for unity, from from Mixamo loaded into blender and then export to glb results in a null.

Is there a converter? (One that keeps file size down)
Is there a documented process? Video?
Also how do you get multiple animations into the a single glb? (hand editing?)

I’ve created the soldier model some time ago by importing the FBX into Blender and then exporting to glTF based on this guide:

1 Like

Thanks, I will give it a try. :slight_smile:

The specific code snippet you shared doesn’t seem right to me… if you’ve defined this.mixer on the line before, it shouldn’t be null on the next line… can you share a fully reproducible amount of your code? There may be a problem there.

Or if you want to isolate the problem and make sure the model works before debugging your code, try viewing it in gltf-viewer.donmccurdy.com/ or sandbox.babylonjs.com/. Both should show a list of animations in the model, if there are any.

I think you can skip the Blender step using this tool:

I mainly use it for files without animation and it works flawlessly. I have tested it with a few skeletal animations as well and it worked.

It runs on the command line:

For binary:

FBX2glTF -i yourModel.fbx -b 

And if you want Draco compression as well:

FBX2glTF -i yourModel.fbx -b -d
1 Like

This tool is great, but I think mixamo exports 1 FBX for 1 animation (with or without mesh), which means if the author wants to have multiple actions in one .glb, then he probably has to “merge” them in Blender (as demonstrated in Don’s awesome article posted above).

With that said, I have to admit that facebookincubator/FBX2glTF works SO WELL, that before Blender 2.80, I often found myself exporting to FBX and then using the tool to get a .glb, since the older Blender GLTFExporter plugins often had issues with animations.

1 Like

I am working via a Webpacked, ES6/ES7 Class based application, “this.” simply calls on variables defined above the constructor at a public scope to the class (typical class style you see in more correct/capable languages).

The code works fine I am loading various GLB’s via it, but it looks like it’s a conversion issue as logging / hand editing the glb via notepad++/ultraedit has shown me that the data simply isn’t there, so I need to work out a decent way to convert things.

But thanks for that babylon gltf viewer link, will come in handy :slight_smile:

Nice one, will give it a go :slight_smile:

Quick, works fast. Works offline. Free. Bulk Convert + Auto Download.

I had the same issue. <3

Cheers.