WebGL: INVALID_ENUM: bufferData: invalid usage with model from external source

I have an npm package stored on a private azure cloud that provides me an artifact. In that project, there is an html example file that I used to test the rendering of a mesh. The mesh renders here without issue.

However, when I load the npm package into my angular project everything compiles. BUT the mesh is not rendered and throws a WebGL: INVALID_ENUM: bufferData: invalid usage… I can’t find much about what this would mean and why this is happening. Other meshes render fine.

It seems the error is traceable to three.module.js in the createBuffer function of the WebGLAttributes function at line 14435. Does anyone have an idea what this might be?

I can see in your screenshot that attribute.usage is undefined. This value is of course not valid when it’s passed to gl.bufferDate().

The default value of BufferAttribute.usage is THREE.StaticDrawUsage. Is it possible that you set the property to undefined at some place in your app?

@Mugen87 I cant find any indication that I could have. However I have found out that this warning appears a total 84 times. The function is afterwards called a few extra time but I think those first 84 are trying to render my mesh which is failing.

EDIT: Tracing the stack up the data is undefined as well

Can you please explain in more detail what you mean by artifact? Is this an instance of THREE.Mesh?

An artifact is an npm module compiled on our azure cloud. this contains a base layer for cross-platform mesh data. We are then converting this data to a 3D object using the ECL3D library (found here). The module is imported into our angular project where I am taking the data from the base layer, converting it to a threejs buffer geometry and adding it to the scene.

EDIT: I can confirm the conversion works within the actual project that is compiled. As we have tested it before building the npm package on the cloud.

EDIT: it is not a mesh in itself, it is a base layer that has a function to create a mesh.

Not sure this is related but it is a real problem if different components of your app use different instance of three.js. This becomes even more complicated if the version do not match. Say you use R108 in one component and R113 in another one.

Could this be an issue between patch versions? So 113 and 113.2? or would this be limited to minor version updates?

Depending on how the app works, it is already an issue if you have two instance of three.js with the same version.

For example, one instance creates geometries with IDs which are unknown in the other instance of three.js. Hence, the engine can’t find the respective (internal) vertex buffers for these geometries.

That makes sense, tho the npm package is merely generating the geometry and passing it to my project. I am currently fixing the version mismatches and using the version from the generating library. I’ll let you know once that has built.

three version on the ECL3D library is specified as "three": "^0.113.0" which means my version from npm will be 0.113.2. Changing that value to 0.113.0 statically made no difference. I am currently looking in the console for any information on why the mesh fails. This is the stacktrace of what is going on, in case you can see anything that would relate to my issue…

While looking into the geometry data I found that the attributes position array is null. could this be the cause I am looking for? this is after the geometry has been defined so that seems odd to me. image

That is strange since it obviously has a defined count property. Its value is computed from array so it seems it was set to null after the buffer attribute was constructed.

its not even an array with 150 null values, which is what I would expect from invalid data there. That might be something that I dont know about how Javascript handles such things though…

I am getting this error also. we recently moved from r83 to r154. please help.

"

WebGL: INVALID ENUM: bufferData: invalid usage

webGL Driver Message (OpenGL, Performance,GL CLOSE _ PATH W, High): GPO stall due to ReadPixeIs

WebGL INVALID VALUE: bufferSubData: buffer overflow

I had a look at this link from stack overflow : https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42392777/three-js-buffer-management

Will this affect my code if i am migrating from r83 to r154?

@prais1 It’s best if you demonstrate the issue with a live example: three.js dev template - module - JSFiddle - Code Playground

We are getting this warning on our three.js Application,
In my Application we are adding objects in scene but scene dose not render the object so thats why we are not able to see object on canvas how to fix it ?
At console we don’t have any error .

help will be appreciated.

1 Like

This was resolved. However, nothing gets drawn on the canvas on subsequent calls to geometries.

we are using setUsage(THREE.DynamicDrawUsage) parameeter . This solved our issue .
Now we are not able to draw on the canvas how to fix it ??