Quantum Summer - an interactive audio-visual meditation on the future of blackness, selected for Sundance’s New Frontiers & developed in Three.js

Quantum Summer is an audio-visual meditation on the future of blackness, technology, and ancestral memories. It is inspired by the canon of black radical energy, maroon communities, and black beaches. Each area of the Quantum Summer ecosystem has its own soundtrack, created by an eclectic mix of NYC-based Black artists. It was selected for Sundance’s New Frontiers 2021 program, as a part of Traveling the Interstitium with Octavia Butler.

A small group of 5 artists, idris brewster, Terence Nance, Ari Melenciano, Sophia Nahli Allison, and Stephanie Dinkens, got together with the Guild of Future Architects to create their own 3D portals inspired by the life and work of author Octavia Butler.

The landscape, and 3D models were created by Micah404 using Quill. The environment, audio-reactive visuals, and spatialized audio were developed by Torin Blankensmith using Three.js and Shader Park.

Music composed by keiyaA, iblss. and Shay Buttah.
Lyrics written by skate key, keiyaA, AKAI SOLO, and maasai.

This is very cool, and Octavia Butler has been on my reading list for a long time so thanks for the reminder :slight_smile:

It gives me strong Outer Wilds vibes (one of my favorite games). Was there any inspiration there?

Thanks! I talked to idris, and it sounds like he played Outer Wilds a lot before making this project. I haven’t played it before, but that’s going on my list :slight_smile:

1 Like