OBJLoader objects not casting shadows

Hello, I’m working on this little thing here, where I would need an object loaded with OBJLoader to receive and cast shadows, even amongst it’s children.

Here’s a cut down version of my code so far, can anyone see what I’m doing wrong here?

renderer.shadowMap.enabled = true;
renderer.shadowMap.type = THREE.PCFSoftShadowMap;
const camera = new THREE.PerspectiveCamera( 75, window.innerWidth / window.innerHeight, 0.1, 1000 );
const ambientLight = new THREE.AmbientLight( 0xffffff, 0.5 );
const light = new THREE.PointLight( 0xffffff, 0.5, 10_000 );
light.castShadow = true;
light.shadow.camera.near = 0.1;
light.shadow.camera.far = 10_000;
objloader.load( this.source, obj => {
	scene.add( obj );
	obj.traverse( child => {
		if( child.isMesh ) {
			child.castShadow = true;
			child.frustumCulled = false;
			child.receiveShadow = true;
			child.material = defaultMaterial;
		}
	} );
} );

try,
reduce intensity of ambient light,
increase intensity of point light

what kind of material is defaultMaterial?

Turns out that for some reason, even if I go all the way down to 0 intensity on the ambient light, nothing changes, even when playing around with the values, which… well, is weird to say the least, never the matter, here’s my defaultMaterial: const defaultMaterial = new THREE.MeshBasicMaterial( { color: 0xEEEEEE } );

MeshBasicMaterial doesn’t receive shadows.

I remember encountering this issue years before, it’s just been a while since I used Three.js… so dumb of me. Anyways, I know this is off topic, but would you have any idea how I could apply a material on top of another? I looked for some solutions, but while half of them were outdated, the other half just plainly didn’t work. The purpose here is to highlight a child I’m currently hovering over, so my goal is to just apply the following on top of an existing material:

const highlightMaterial = new THREE.MeshPhongMaterial( {

color: 0xff0000,
					transparent: true,
					opacity: 0.5

} );

In any case, thank you a lot for your time anyways!

You can change the material to highlight something, and then switch it back to original.
Example : Raycaster Mouse Picking
If this example doesn’t help then start a new thread.