Logarithmic Spiral

Hi community!

Here is a reference pic (if you’ve got enough spare time, you can create this… if you want to :upside_down_face:):

And, having this topic SeaShell Mesh from point array? extrude along path? - #8 by prisoner849, here is an example of using such type of spiral:

This is a whole single geometry, created by merging of hundreds of more or less randomly shaped geometries (I honestly tried my best with it :crossed_fingers:)

Warning: it takes about 5 seconds to build that geometry on my Core i7, so be patient :innocent:

13 Likes

Looks lovely, took about 2 seconds on i9

Looking at the code I see why it takes a while :smiley:

1 Like

Great idea! It took 13 secs on a Pixel (1)^^.

1 Like

Yeah, ConvexBufferGeometry (for 50 random points) + SubdivisionModifier (level of subdivision: 2) + calculation of UVs, and all that stuff is for each and every rock :sweat_smile:
If someone knows more efficient way/idea of how to generate random geometries for stones, just let me know, would be very appreciate.

2 Likes

Sure, easy. Just generate a library of, say, 50 rocks, then pick one at random. But honestly, for a demo - i don’t see any problem with this approach :smiley:

3 Likes

Took about 17 seconds on a Nexus 6.
Cool.
-jg-

1 Like

This will come in handy for generating the state vectors for stars that make up spiral galaxies… :dizzy:

1 Like

Aha!

Watching those galaxies tear each other apart in slow motion is just… Ahhhhh… And it wouldn’t have been possible without your code, so hats off to you for what feels like the fifty-eleventh time :beers:

4 Likes

@TheHappyKoala
This is simply great! :+1: :fireworks:

1 Like