How to Join two FBX models

Hi everyone,

I have two FBX models in my scene. Both are of type “group” and have multiple child objects, each child being an instance of mesh.

What I am trying to do is to join (kind of like attach) one child mesh (base) of one FBX model to the child mesh (base) of another FBX model so that they look like one single object.

I tried merging but it doesn’t seem to work. Is there any other way to approach this problem.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Is it possible to demonstrate your issue with a live example?

Normally, you would use Object3D.add() to add one mesh to the other one as a child object.

Thanks @Mugen87 for the reply.
I was able to combine them by adding collision detection and the moment they collided, I added them to Object3D as you suggested. But a new problem arose.

They are now part of same parent, but overlay on top of each other when they collide (I think they have the same origin now). The two FBX models are walls with circular bases.

I would like it to unite at a specific hinge point for example in case of walls - the two adjacent sides.
Is there a way where I can hinge them at a specific position?

I’ll be posting it soon on a fiddle, need to clean it up a bit (contains proprietary contents)

Thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like