[Help] Loading a heavy model

So, I’m using ThreeJS during my internship and I was asked to try to load some models from my work and they are huge because of details (some of them over 1gb). First, I tried to load .obj models (the extension I got them) but they were too large. Then, I converted them to GLTF and they were also too large. Then, I tried to use Draco and my models where compressed to about 90% of its file sizes but it takes too much RAM to decompress (over 13gbs on Firefox). The models doesn’t have textures and I can use basic material on them. My final test was to convert them to .nxs (Nexus file) but the converted model lost a lot of the details. Any help on that??

The models I need to load are similar to this: image
PS: Sorry about grammar, English is not my main language.

It seems that you’re getting very high-resolution models from the engineering team, but WebGL is typically not designed to handle ridiculously large polycounts like, for instance AutoCad would. There’s probably no reason for such high level of resolution for basic web viewing purposes. The only advice I can provide you is to open the original geometry in your favorite 3D modelling tool (mine is Blender), and start bringing the geometry down in polycount. See below for a simple example:

1 Like

I tried to open on Blender but it crashes when importing the model…

That’s another sign that your geometry is very complex. Maybe you can ask the person who created the objects to simplify it for you, or maybe you’ll need to download more RAM :smiley:

Just kidding, you would probably need to buy and install more RAM.

2 Likes

CPU not found, running software emulation... :smile:

PS Sorry for off-topic, I just couldn’t resist :sweat_smile:

1 Like

As others have noted here, you need to get in touch with the people who made these models and get them to simplify them for you. If you can’t even open these models in Blender then there is no way they are suitable for displaying with WebGL, or probably any real time graphics system for that matter.

A rule of thumb that I use, for mid range desktop machines, is less than one million vertices total for all geometry. There’s lots of other considerations that may bring this number up or down, but you should at least be able to load and display the models then.

2 Likes