Does three have a gltf 1.0 loader?

Looking at the gltf list of exporters and converters it seems that a lot of them output only to 1.0. The loader i found within three seems to not like anything less than 2.0.

1 Like

That’s correct. The former GLTF2Loader has replaced the old GLTFLoader, see https://github.com/mrdoob/three.js/pull/11961

What kind of list of exporters are you referring to? The Blender exporter for example supports glTF 2.0.

This thing here:

COLLADA2GLTF seems like it should be a big one, but it looks like it’s outputting to v1.

I’ve tried using some online tool, cesium or something, it was able to load everything correctly and play animation. Three just gives up and says it doesnt work with anything less than 2.

Are there any GLTF2GLTF converters? For example if i get a dae, i dont want to have to learn blender and have to open it there only to have to export it again.

I found a whole loading system by tparisi but it doesn’t look like its the latest version, and i cant get the animation to work.

Good question. I’ve never seen something like this.

I ended up using the GLTF1 loader, it was super hard to find, i started with tparisi’s version with a bunch of modules, before i found the consolidated one.

That means that since GLTF2Loader was renamed to GLTFLoader a couple of months back there is no way to use V1 models with three.js? That seems like a bit of an oversight.

Perhaps we could bring back the old GLTFLoader and call it GLTFLegacyLoader or something.

I think this issue should be discussed at github. I’m very interested in the opinion of other core developers regarding backwards compatibility.

Just for reference: https://github.com/KhronosGroup/glTF/tree/master/specification/2.0#versioning

Major version updates are not expected to be compatible with previous versions.

What should users do if they have glTF models with version < 2.0? This is a valid question and i could not find a clear answer (or maybe a best practice) so far.

1 Like

Major version updates are not expected to be compatible with previous versions.

I don’t take this to mean that if you have GLTF 1 models that you should expect to suddenly not be able to use them when GLTF 2 is released though.

I think this issue should be discussed at github.

Agreed. However I don’t use GLTF much yet ( although I hope to in the future once there are more / better exporters ), so I’ll leave that up to someone else.

Posted a more detailed response on GitHub, but:

I ended up using the GLTF1 loader, it was super hard to find, i started with tparisi’s version with a bunch of modules, before i found the consolidated one.

THREE.GLTFLoader from three.js r86 should work with (only) glTF1.0, and uses the default three.js animation system (unlike some older versions).

1 Like