Z-Index zooming out crashes on Mobile Browsers

Hi folks, LOVE threejs. I’m writing an MMO with it.

If you could take a look, please sign up for an account at https://StarLordsOnline.com – your starship will generate. Now zoom out.

Works great on Desktop, until the big planets are loaded in. Actually it can chug a bit.

Now try on mobile – it just crashes at maximum zoom.

I am simply moving the camera on the Z-Index away from the models. Is there some sort of limit? The Zoom Z position is like 400,000.

Thoughts?

Try to do this on mobile, it’ll crash and ask you to reload. Why?

I’m guessing it has to do with how webgl downscales objects in relation to pixel density …
for example ,because a desktop is so much larger the pixel density is far less… where as on a mobile the density is far greater … It’s trying to render your object with way more pixels than are needed to display the object … normally things would not be “zoomed” to such a massive amount… which is essentially scaling the object in relation to the cameras clipping distance which in turn is relative to the canvas size and aspect ratio.
not sure that helps… it is something that i read about webgl for mobile… and I’m a total novice, but my feeling is this is an avenue you should look in to.

edit :

Blockquotehe object in relation to the cameras clipping distance which in turn is relative to the canvas size and aspect ratio.
also the FOV

Hrmmm good idea – maybe I can check to see if the perceived model size is tiny, turn the visibility off all together. I mean, I can just limit the mobile device to a zoom level that doesn’t break, but that level is a guesstimate and may still cause issues.

Understanding and doing it right is far better. Thanks for the reply.