Might is Right, the game

Update.

Over the past 3 months or so, I have been working on strategic AI for the game. This has taken a lot more time than I had initially imagined. Mainly because of how I written the interaction code, it was mostly synchronous and heavily tied to the player. I had to convert everything to async and add a layer of abstraction to allow AI and the Player to interact with the game through the same interface.

Actual AI is based on a paper called Adaptive Intelligence for Turn-based Strategy Games by Maurice Bergsma and Pieter Spronck

It proposes a modular architecture for decision-making with a very straight-forward implementation.

It took a while to write the tools for building so-called “Influence Maps”. In the end Might is Right uses 2 maps for it’s attack/move decision-making:

• threat map. This dictates how much danger each game tile presents to the agent
  • reward map. This abstracts how attractive each game time is to the agent

I built a small tool for AI prototyping, here is what a threat map looks like:

Here’s a reward map:

If you look closely, you will notice that the maps are influenced by walking distances, here’s an example of a distance map:

So Dijkstra’s algorithm has seen a lot of use here :slight_smile:

Finally the AI is here, it consists of 2 parts:

• spawner. Creates new enemies, decides which enemies to create, how strong, where to place them and when.
  • scheduler. Computes “Actions” for each enemy and executes them.

It has been one of the hardest features to implement by far, an incredible journey and a satisfying challenge.

The changes are now live. Feedback, as always, greatly appreciated.

6 Likes