Ipad2 ios9 safari no 3d

I have an old iPad2 stuck with iOS 9.3.5
I am fighting to get three.js working on the iPad and I have succeed. It supports WebGL, but I have only managed to make it work with older releases of three.js. Actually I am working with revision 84. Quite old since the latest revision is r137.
I was struggling with some code snippet I have recently copy&pasted. Some time ago, working with a plugin of reveal.js I realized (debugging the iPad ), that “let” command was not supported (I substitute then for “var” to make it work) and maybe @mjurczyk post can be very clarifying, maybe “const” command is neither supported. I suppose you will find “const” in newer versions.
So check for older versions of three.js because I can assure you it works. You can download the from this link.

The link I provided in the previous post, regarding the debugging of the iPad, was intended to show that it is possible to debug iOS without a Mac, just with a Windows machine. The link leads to the original post by John Washam that explains how to do it.

As I mentioned, after adding some code I borrowed to a working three.js model I render in the iPad, it stopped rendering. So I substitute the “const” commands with “var” and now it works again flawlessly.

Notice @Kim_Boulton, that old iPads (<= iOS 9.3.5) can not render with the latest three.js revision, but they work properly with older versions of three.js. To check it in your own device, just try this WebGL 3D Model Viewer by Manuel Timelthaler.

Keep in mind that iPad 2’s version of Safari / Chrome do not have support of many modern js features - stuff like consts and arrow functions (which are sometimes used by three in more recent releases.)

1 Like

Of course. The best would be to use the latest versions to take advantage of modern features, but sometimes we have not the right device for them. Maybe we cannot afford them or maybe we do not want or need to buy a new device.
In my case, my old iPad serves me well. I am modelling some 3D structures to show my students. I really do not need all that three.js can do, that I know its amazing. I am neither a developer, so I prefer something simple that works, more than something fancy that does not and I would not know how to fix.
BTW, I realized later that this topic already had an accepted answer, but could not help to provide more info in case anyone needs it in the future.

1 Like

Hi! My “Optics Lab” works without warnings on Chrome, Firefox, Android, windows. Virtual Optical Bench
But not on my Ipad. It is a recent Pro model that shows all the Three examples correctly. Any suggestions for how to proceed? :innocent: