Here are a few requirements:
- Renders in a browser environment (canvas, webGL, svg, etc.)
- Compatible desktop and mobile
- Interactive (detection of hovering, click event, etc.) on both nodes and connections
- Interconnected (node can be linked to other(s), through connections)
- Concept of proximity between nodes (some may be further away than other, depending on some criteria)
- Allows for visual customisation of the nodes/connections representation (CSS, etc.), to replace a “dot” with an image, for instance
Here is a visual that shows what it could look like:
I’m thinking that Three.js may be a solution, but I’m not familiar with it at all and I don’t know its limitation. My question is, can I build such things using Three.js?
Is there a demo featuring this? I couldn’t find anything similar (but there are tons of demo so I might have missed it)
Also, I’m not sure if the term “map” is the best one, don’t hesitate to propose a better term.