How do you set uTime inside useFrame in R3F for a shader?

ive been trying to set uTime from my uniforms for my shader but i keep getting this typeset error

HandTOPb.jsx?t=1690643611434:37 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot set properties of undefined (setting 'uTime')

here is my code and what i’ve tried from what i’ve looked up :

function TopHand(props) {
  const { nodes, materials, fragmentShader, vertexShader } = useGLTF(
    "./modelsGLTF/handTOPb/handTOPb.gltf"
  );
  const ref = useRef();
  useFrame(({ clock, mouse }) => {
    ref.current.uniforms.uTime = clock.getElapsedTime();
  });
  const uniforms = {
    uTime: { value: 0 },
    coral: { type: "t", value: new THREE.TextureLoader().load(coral) },
    iResolution: { value: new THREE.Vector3() },
  };

return (
    <group
      {...props}
      dispose={null}
      position={[-7, -22, 8]}
      rotation={[4, 0, 2]}
    >
      <mesh
        scale={[1, 1, 1]}
        geometry={nodes.hand.geometry}
        material={nodes.hand.material}
        rotation={[Math.PI / 2, 0, 0]}
        ref={ref}
      >
        <shaderMaterial
          uniforms={uniforms}
          fragmentShader={fragmentShader}
          vertexShader={vertexShader}
          transparent={true}
        />
      </mesh>
    </group>
  );
}
1 Like

you’re trying to change uniforms on a type of mesh, that doesn’t exist… have you tried modifying the uniforms of the material attached to the mesh instead eg.

useFrame(({ clock, mouse }) => {
    ref.current.material.uniforms.uTime = clock.getElapsedTime();
  });
1 Like

cheers thnx ur a big help i thought i tried adding .material earlier but i think something else that i fixed was stopping that from working so i didn’t bother to try it again :thinking: a small quick question to add on but am i using the correct texture loader should i use ‘useTexture’ from react three drei? Cause i i cant seem to see the texture in my model and nothing has changed in my shader since i moved to R3F from normal three js if not it be something else im guessing but thnx alot again otherwise :pray: :+1:

Hey, np, yes ifaik it’s best to use useTexture() if using r3f as it’s made to preload textures before trying to render them which is likely the issue

1 Like

Also, drei shader material creates auto setter getters ThreeJS Journey Portal - CodeSandbox

Ps nothing imo wrong with textureloader it’s probably just a as wrong path, but useTexture integrates the component into suspense and preloads

2 Likes

cheers thnx a million :+1:

Oh you can useRef() on materials that’s cool, is that only for shader materials? when you say “creates auto setter getters”?