Fibonacci Orbital Flux: a 2,800-point interactive sphere in Three.js

Screenshot 2026-10-05 100805

Hi everyone,

I’d like to share Fibonacci Orbital Flux, an interactive 3D experiment exploring how a Fibonacci sphere can respond to touch and sound.

The scene arranges 2,800 points across a spherical lattice using the golden-angle spiral. Move the pointer to create a magnetic drift across the field, drag to rotate the sphere, or activate the audio control to explore its orbital resonance.

To keep the sphere’s rotation continuous across axes, I use quaternion-based global arcball rotation. This helps avoid the gimbal-lock limitations associated with relying on Euler angles alone, while preserving the smooth follow-through after a drag.

Live demo: https://www.austensor.com/page3

Built with Three.js and React Three Fiber, the experiment combines a Fibonacci point distribution with real-time cursor distortion and critically damped motion.

It’s part of Austensor, a collection of computational art experiments inspired by mathematics and geometry. The project has received Orpetron SOTD and theFWA 80.

I tested the experience on an AMD Ryzen 5 7600 desktop with 32 GB RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti (8 GB). Lighthouse Performance reached 100/100.

I’d be glad to hear what you think of the interaction and the way the sphere responds.

Regards

Will

Ausdata Science

1 Like