EnvAI - AI-generated environmental maps & HDRIs

env-ai-logo

[ Open EnvAI ]

Ladies, gentlemen, aquatic mammals of high intelligence quotient,

If you ever seek HDRI environmental maps of more abstract colour palette than the realistic textures from places like polyhaven.com - look no further. I offer you today a repository of 100+ creative HDRI textures of all shapes and sizes - generated by a mixture of Stable Diffusion, Midjourney, and Super Resolution.

Text to Environment Map

prevew

Generate a custom environment map in SD / HD / HDRI formats from a text prompt. Currently focusing mostly on fantasy-related themes.

SD - HD - HDRI

evangelion-1.jpg
[ Open Evangelion-1 Preview ]

Every generated texture is available as in SD version (1024px), most are also ported to HD (2048px.) Additionally, you can download HDRI / IBL version of every texture to use with Three.RGBELoader as a source of light in the scene.

Usage

import { RGBELoader } from 'three/examples/jsm/loaders/RGBELoader';

const rgbeLoader = new RGBELoader();
const textureLoader = new THREE.TextureLoader();

scene.environment = rgbeLoader.load('./evangelion-1-HDR.hdr', texture => {
  texture.mapping = THREE.EquirectangularReflectionMapping;
});

scene.environment = textureLoader.load('./evangelion-1-HD.jpg', texture => {
  texture.mapping = THREE.EquirectangularRefractionMapping;
});

scene.fog = new THREE.FogExp2(0x68486a, 0.005);

API

List of all HDRI textures can be fetched directly via https://envmaps.wtlstudio.com/envmaps/index.json.

License

COO - free for personal and commercial use. See note on the website bottom right corner for details. Also explains how I attempt to ensure that the textures do not steal any artists’ work.

Updates

You can follow sporadic updates on the bird app:

https://twitter.com/thefrontendcat/status/1775999629374661036

https://twitter.com/thefrontendcat/status/1632154775344267265

Also check my original inspiration - BlockadeLabs.com :relieved:

15 Likes

Thanks for sharing. It looks like a good source of textures. Bookmarked.

Do you plan to add support for equirectangular environment maps too, so that the zenith area looks good?

2 Likes

Updated version is here!

• @PavelBoytchev Played around for a few days with projections - and while applying cube map / equirectangular projection to the envmaps was in the end possible, it did not look good under any configuration. The issue is that these textures already kinda have some semi-equirectangular projection and applying it again makes the entire image go places - it might have been better to not ask AI for equirectangular maps in the first place, just panoramas I guess :smiling_face_with_tear: I’ll keep adjusting it - but for now I’ve applied Mercator projection to make the horizon look a bit less squashed!

• Adjusted upscaling step to use tiles and de-noise the output before merging it together. It’s still not perfect, but compared to previous upscaling it feels like a significant improvement:

• Added JPEGMini to the pipeline, effectively reducing size of every texture by about 50-70% (2K maps that used to weigh ~3MB, now weigh 300kB.) Still have to find something to optimise HDRI textures, as they stay at ~5MB per texture which is more than I’d be happy with :smiling_face_with_tear:

• Added index page for all textures, because I missed coding spheres with CSS :relieved: Plus it should make browsing the entire repository much easier :pray:

4 Likes

Thanks for the update. These are good improvements.

this is awesome
would you share the different steps/prompts/commands so we can make our own too?

thank you

Oh, yeah! This is a very cool resource :slight_smile:

Hello and welcome to the annual update sponsored by the Easter weekend :man_scientist::rabbit2:

:point_right: Custom Prompting is now available - you are be able to define and generate an environment map of whichever location you’d like, not only sticking to the presets. Currently configured for fantasy-oriented environments, in the future I’ll find some time to add a realistic pipeline too :relieved:

Like previously - supports SD, upscaling to HD, and parallel conversion to an HDRI (gainmap JPGs will also be awesome to add, will find a moment to port it to work in node quickly enough.)

2 Likes

You got me laughing for 5 minutes straight with this line, so harshly real it hurts. Really considering taking a year off from my job to spend fulltime to my delayed threejs based projects.

P.S. your project rocks, gainmap JPGs will be a really usefull addition to it, keep up the good work :+1: