COUNTRIS - Puzzle/Tetris using countries [mobile/PC]

I want to showcase my project “COUNTRIS”. Its kind of a mix between a puzzle and Tetris.
Its still under development, but playable as is.

There are controls for PC (arrows and space) as well as a GUI for mobile.

As of right now, countries always drop in the right orientation because it would make the game too hard otherwise. Anyways, you are able to rotate them and there might be different difficulties in the feature where you are required to rotate them as well.

Goal: Place dropping countries at the correct location.

Link: COUNTRIS

any comments, feedback or suggestions are very appreciated :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Excellent! I love games that help me fine-tune my geography knowledge :smiley:

You probably already know, but since you didn’t mention it, it seems that I would never lose points, even if I got a country in the wrong place. Or maybe it would indeed impact the points count, but that wasn’t immediately obvious how.
Also, since the points count is always in a red container, I thought at first that was a penalty, and only understood at the end of a game that those were points.

And 2 more comments after a second game:

• if the country that’s falling is between the camera and its location, it gets tricky to position the target, as it’s hiding the view.
  • After misplacing a small country, I failed to see where it was actually supposed to be. Maybe that’s by design, but if not, maybe some blinking animation or something more noticeable would help.

Very cool otherwise, I’ll probably try it again.

Thank you!
You are right, red probably is’t very intuitive for the score… That’s the scoring system right now:

• 6 Points: correct Position, correct orientation
  • 3 Points: correct Position, wrong orientation
  • 2 Points: Position 1 off, right orientation
  • 1 Point: Position 1 off, wrong orientation

if the country that’s falling is between the camera and its location, it gets tricky to position the target, as it’s hiding the view.

Thats an issue… the only way of solving this is by changing the transparency when the country is directly blocking the view

After misplacing a small country, I failed to see where it was actually supposed to be. Maybe that’s by design, but if not, maybe some blinking animation or something more noticeable would help.

That’s a good idea. Maybe a red or green PointLight i guess :thinking:

1 Like

Nice stuff! Fun to play and a real cool fusion of Tetris and Geography :slight_smile:

Couple points for consideration:

• You can get “bad RNG” where if you get a landlocked country early on, where even if you know where it should be, there is no reference to work off, making the game design a factor on the players score. A potential solution might be to make it so that landlocked countries can only be drawn if a neighboring country has been placed already. Adding outlines would probably just make the game too easy.

• On the game over screen maybe move the menu so its not obscuring the map, I think the map is a better indicator of how well you did as the points system is a bit arbitrary to a first time player, seeing how many countries were colored is a better visualization in my opinion.

Example: Hungary being drawn early game turns it into a game of chance.