new THREE.MeshPhongMaterial({ color: 0x000000 }),
    new THREE.MeshPhongMaterial({ color: 0xffffff }),
  ];
  const cube = new THREE.Mesh(geometry, matArray);

What I get:

I’d expect sides to be white but they’re grey. Other colors produce similarly “wrong” results… Something to do with lighting? Camera position?

If you are using Three r155, then you need to increase the intensity of the ambient light.

scene.add(new THREE.AmbientLight(0xffffff, Math.PI));

“The intensities for ambient, hemisphere, directional lights and light maps can be restored by multiplying PI with the existing light intensity values” → Migrating

Also, this line does nothing when using the ambient light

1 Like

Thank you @seanwasere

Yes, I’m using r155. I tried with the ambient light setting, but it makes no change in my case. What I figured out is that if I swap MeshPhongMaterial with either MeshStandardMaterial or MeshBasicMaterial then I get the colors I expect. But with this mesh shadows stop working, which they did with MeshPhongMaterial …

1 Like

This three.js docs helped me understand how shadows work. Now I get the expected colors with any mesh type.

Here is an example showing the effect of the ambient light on various materials.
The materials in order are MeshBasicMaterial, MeshLambertMaterial, MeshPhongMaterial, MeshPhysicalMaterial & MeshToonMaterial
Example : Ambient Light
You can change the intensity to see which materials are effected.

MeshBasicMaterial is self illuminating, so does not react to changes in lighting.