8k .basis texture not loading on mobile (4k works fine)

Hello,

When trying to load an 8k .basis texture on mobile (Nexus 5X Android or iOS 14.4.2), the load fails. On Android I can see the following error:

[.WebGL-0x5f43b400]GL ERROR :GL_INVALID_VALUE : glCompressedTexImage2D: dimensions out of range
[.WebGL-0x5f43b400]RENDER WARNING: texture bound to texture unit 0 is not renderable. It might be non-power-of-2 or have incompatible texture filtering (maybe)?

And the same texture in 4k loads fine.

I’ve created the .basis file with the following command:

basisu -comp_level 4 -max_selectors 16128 -max_endpoints 16128 <input.png> -output_file <input.basis>

Anyone has experience with basis files and possible fix to load an 8k? I’ve only started to use that format recently on a couple projects. I can share the images if that helps.

What value is reported with this test fiddle on your device: https://jsfiddle.net/vqbsoyp2/

Thank you for your quick reply. I should have clarified that if I load an 8k JPG instead, it works fine, so it seems to me it’s not resolution related.
But in any case, here is what I see with your link:

• Nexus 5X Android: 16384
  • iOS 14.4.2: 16384 (although it did not work with webgl2, I had to switch the context to webgl)

To be honest I’m surprised that an 8K JPEG is loading on a Nexus 5X at all, typically I would avoid anything over 4K, certainly on a mobile device. The max texture size is one component of the constraints, but at >250 MB per texture (for JPEG or PNG) you’ll hit VRAM limits quickly too.

Several devices, tested on WebGL compressed texture size limit stress test :

• Nexus 5X: 4K
  • Macbook Pro, 2018: 8K
  • iPad Pro: 16K
  • iPhone 11 Pro: 16K
  • iPhone SE: 16K

It appears that 4K is the actual limit for compressed textures on the Nexus 5X, despite its reporting 16K to WebGL’s MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE parameter. iOS should be able to do more; are these textures exactly 8192x8192? You may need to enable the -mipmap option of basisu, or change texture filter options.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your input, that’s very interesting. I had seen this stress test but didn’t think of checking it this time.
And since the JPG loading worked (but it really took forever, about 1min), I assumed the problem might be with basis, but your explanation makes sense.

Also, the reason I’m loading 8k is actually because I pack 48 x 2k light maps inside it. It’s divided in 4x4 tiles and each RGB channel has a different light map. So if I were to replace it with a 4k one, each lightmap would go from 2k to 1k and the difference becomes visible. But if that’s necessary, I can accept that, I’ll just load the 8k on desktop and its 4k version on mobile.

1 Like