3D world engine: droneWorld prototype

Hi ! Happy to discover there’s a discourse for threejs ! During the past month in my free time I decided to start hacking around threejs and made the following 3D world: droneWorld.

The idea was to do something fun, learn along the process and I was also looking for new topics for future blog posts.

Current results:
Capture du 2017-12-23 16-42-39Capture du 2017-12-15 22-26-46
Capture du 2017-12-23 16-30-39

More screenshots of the building process are on my twitter @maxmre.

The code is available at https://github.com/blaze33/droneWorld.

I’d like to thank @mrdoob and all the three js contributors for their awesome work, it has been awesome to build such in a thing in so little time! Happy holidays!

14 Likes

I guess I could update my first post about how these 3D mountains turned out a month and a half later. I started adding drones with the idea to pilot them:

In the end the project oriented itself to a shoot’em up game ala drone dogfight, drones have guns and missiles and can shoot at each other:

This is far from being finished, the multiplayer mode is notably yet to do, but I’m quite pleased with the current results so far :slight_smile:
Gameplay preview: https://youtu.be/6HU47x3GaBc
Live version still at: http://lab.openbloc.fr/droneWorld

6 Likes

It has the spirit of the game “Echelon”! I played tens of hours in “Echelon” and “Echelon: Wind Warriors”. In Russia, they were “Шторм” and “Шторм: Солдаты Неба”.

Awesome work!

4 Likes

Thanks for the kind words ! I didn’t knew “Echelon”, thanks for the reference. I played a lot to “Starlancer” in 2000 for what it’s worth :slight_smile:

I’ve written a blog post, sort of summarizing the 3 months (part-time) it took me to build this game prototype. As I haven’t done any progress on this in the past two months, I guess it was time to publish something anyway, so, here you go:

GameDev with three.js on the modern web :rocket::fireworks: :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice write up :smile:

Trying out the actual demo though I’m only getting around 5fps, on my laptop with a gtx 980m.

1 Like

20fps on GTX 950m :smiley:

1 Like

I made a more detailed post about how I kept my main render loop small but yet flexible using PubSubJS, it simplifies working with interactive animations:

Three.js & 3D interactive animations: a tutorial.

1 Like

The game is impossible. The enemies keep respawning… :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s awsome !

what graphics card do you have? I have max 1FPS :slightly_smiling_face:

Too much details on this terrain, but it looks pretty good.

I would like to draw some attention to a detail that may not be obvious: Very beautiful underwater effects! “God rays” that move with the waves, and light playing on the sea bottom.

Hey haven’t checked this thread in a while, thanks for the kind words :slight_smile:

@nihlists do you remember what hardware you used ? I had a GeForce GTX 1050 last year, helped a lot :wink: but I still get 20fps on my old lenovo with its integrated GPU. And my old phone surprisingly ran it smoothly…

@EliasHasle cool to see you noticed the underwater effects :wink: remember playing alot with them last year, haha :slight_smile:

1 Like