The shadow decreases and the render effect changes greatly!

Hello, may I ask a question? When using “MeshStandardMaterial” in three.js to render .stl model, the rendering effect of different versions of the same code is quite different, and the black shadow of the edge outline of the model in the new version 0.157.0 is disappeared. The overall shadow of the model is weaker, and the rendering effect of the previous 147 version is more realistic. Is there any way to enhance the shadow of the model in the new version, like the effect of 147, or are there any parameters that can be controlled and adjusted? Thank you for your answers!

const loader = new THREE.STLLoader();
loader.load(‘monkey.stl’, geometry => {
const material = new THREE.MeshStandardMaterial({
color: 0xfff4c2,
metalness: 0.0,
roughness: 1,
});

There’s quite a bit happening in terms of colors / lights between r147 and r157 :point_down:

1 Like

Hello, I read your link, the version of rendering has indeed made a very big change, then may I ask what way can I use to adjust the rendering effect to the state of Figure r147? Do you have any parameters or anything like that? or there is no way?

realism has to do with correct gamma and dynamic range. the right image appears more realistic, it is gamma correct and has high dynamic range. i would change nothing. previous versions had no color management so by default you would run wrong gamma, which is the #1 culprit for that 90s era cgi look with blown and banding colors and low dynamic range.

this is a good read, the example images also help: Color management in three.js

if you want to go back you can switch color management off.

THREE.ColorManagement.enabled = false
renderer.outputEncoding = THREE.LinearSRGBColorSpace
renderer.useLegacyLights = true
1 Like

Thank you very much for your answer, very useful