Server for large 3D Datasets and Pointclouds

Hello,

I’m integrating a three.js application on a server to share 3D models (up to 3GB in size) via a link. These models are currently in OBJ format or as point clouds, leading to substantial file sizes. I’m seeking a server solution with at least 50-100GB of storage, scalable for future needs.

Could anyone recommend suitable server options? Additionally, I’m open to suggestions on more efficient file formats than OBJ for web integration (Like gltf).

Are there any Tutorials to integrate my application to the web?

Thank you in advance!

You’re likely best off doing some preprocessing on models that are up to 3gb, no matter how powerful your server, the client will always have to download what you have stored at their download speed, one option is to use blender or similar for file size reductions beforehand…

3 Likes

glTF combined with meshopt compression and will be much smaller, and parse much faster than OBJ. Probably 95% faster, trying a tool like gltfpack or glTF Transform to compress it.

That said — regardless of any compression, client devices are going to struggle with a 3GB file, since they still have to decompress it to render it. Something like 3D Tiles (which partitions the data and uses GLB internally) might be more appropriate, if you don’t necessarily need the whole 3GB on the client device at any given time. There are a couple 3D Tiles loaders for three.js, or something more specialized like deck.gl could be helpful.

3 Likes