Open mesh after using three-bvh-csg

I try to remove some parts of a 3d-scanned stl-file using three-bvh-csg. I am able to perform the boolean difference but the exported mesh is now a open mesh. But for the next steps i need a closed mesh. Is this possible using three-bvh-csg or is there any other tool to get the wanted result?

This is the actual state and every green line is a open edge

I have attached the file bevor and after the operation
test.stl (2.6 MB)
test_after.stl (2.0 MB)

my code is:

for (var i = 0; i < this.objects.length; i++) {
            var object = this.objects[i];
            const brush1 = new Brush( object.geometry, object.material );
            var geo1 = new BoxGeometry(200,200,40);
            const brush2 = new Brush( geo1, new MeshBasicMaterial() );
            brush2.position.set(0,0,parseFloat(this.rangePlane.value) + 20.0);
            brush2.updateMatrixWorld(true);
            const csgEvaluator = new Evaluator();
            csgEvaluator.attributes = [ 'position', 'normal' ];
            csgEvaluator.useGroups = false;
            const result = csgEvaluator.evaluate( brush1, brush2, SUBTRACTION );
            result.geometry.normalizeNormals();
            var selectedObject = this.scene.getObjectById(object.id);
            this.scene.children[1].remove( selectedObject );
            this.scene.children[1].add( result );
        }

You can use BufferGeometryUtils.mergeVertices( theGeometry ), followed by a theGeometry.computeVertexNormals()
If the mesh has other attributes you may have to remove them first for the merging to work…
so if the merging doesn’t work by itself try:

import *as BufferGeometryUtils from "three/addons/utils/BufferGeometryUtils.js"
theGeometry.deleteAttribute('normal')   //May not be needed
theGeometry.deleteAttribute('uv') //May not be needed
theGeometry.deleteAttribute('color') //May not be needed

let fixedUpGeometry = BufferGeometryUtils.mergeVertices( theGeometry );

fixedUpGeometry.computeVertexNormals(); //may not be needed

yourMesh.geometry = fixedUpGeometry;

After performing boolean operations with three-bvh-csg, your resulting mesh is open. To close it, using a library like three-solidify-geometry. Simply apply the solidification process to the mesh, adjusting font thickness as needed to fill gaps and create a closed mesh.
import { SolidifyModifier } from ‘three-solidify-geometry’;

// Assuming ‘result’ is your open mesh geometry
const solidifyModifier = new SolidifyModifier();
const thickness = 0.1; // Adjust thickness as needed
const solidGeometry = solidifyModifier.modify(result.geometry, thickness);

// Add the solidified geometry to the scene
const solidMesh = new THREE.Mesh(solidGeometry, result.material);
this.scene.add(solidMesh);

I think this would give you a completely different mesh with different dimensions… Maaybe with a thickness of 0 it would do the right thing, but… i think OP just needs to mergeVertices?

Yeah three-bvh-csg using a clipping technique that results in “T-Vertices” - or a 1-to-many mapping between edges - so this is a limitation of three-bvh-csg, right now. From your uploaded it looks like this is what’s happening but the form otherwise looks solid.

In the future I would like to address this but I can’t say exactly when I’ll have the bandwidth. Some of the other CSG libraries out there (Manifold, three-csg-ts, etc) may produce better results for 3d printing at a slower speed. For now if you need real time results you could use three-bvh-csg for intermediate results and another library for the final trim.

1 Like

@Stylish_Font_Generator : Are you using AI/LLM to auto-answer questions on here?
If so, can you please mark them as such? I have been seeing answers from you that seem out of context or auto-generated… and you don’t seem to respond to questions. I’m not personally opposed to using GPT to answer questions, but could you provide some disclaimers if that is the case?

Thanks for the reply’s.

I already have tried to use BufferGeometryUtils.mergeVertices

but without computeVertexNormals(). No success. I will try computeVertexNormals() but since
gkjohnson said this is limitation of three-bvh-csg i will give it not much faith.

I have tried three-csg-ts(way to slow) and manifold(was not able to implement it correctly, to complex for me)

Given that my program is running backend and frontend on the same computer i have found a workaround using pymeshlab in the python-backend to calculate the boolean and transfer it back to the frontend. The speed including the transfer is comparable to using three-bvh-csg and the mesh is perfect for my usecase.

I would also suggest trying the
ConvexGeometry, to create a convex hull from your results. This will only work for convex inputs however, so a shape like a heart won’t work.

Or the simplifymodifier approach mentioned by @Stylish_Font_Generator but with a 0 thickness.

Glad you found a solution!