Material not reacting to flatShading

Hi all!

I can’t get flatShading turned off… What am I doing wrong?

flatShading is false by default. Setting it to true means flat shaded normals are computed in the shader.

However, you can’t use this property to prevent flat shaded normals. It happens in your fiddle because the faces of your geometry share no vertices which means computeVertexNormals() can’t produce smooth normals. However, you can achieve your goal by using BufferGeometryUtils.mergeVertices() first before computing the normals.

1 Like

Thank you for your prompt reply.

There are distortions were the normals differ heavily on the interfaces of spout / belly and handle / belly. What would be the correct way of defining this model so that I won’t need BufferGeometryUtils.mergeVertices() ?

imo you should prepare models in blender before you use them on the web. fixing normals by code seems a lot more complex than running a few modifiers in blender and then having a clean, reduced, compressed file that loads quickly and can readily be used.

Thank you for your suggestion, but I have plenty of items stored as Geometry and need to convert to BufferGeometry… I want to do it the correct way…