Keeping camera on top of terrain when using PointerLockControl

I’m trying to use the PointerLockControl to move through a map terrain. I just copied the example and modified it like this:

if ( controls.isLocked === true && self.terrains ) {
            raycaster.set(controls.getObject().position, new THREE.Vector3(0, -1, 0));
            raycaster.ray.origin.y -= 10;
            let intersects = raycaster.intersectObjects(self.terrains.children);
            let onObject = intersects.length > 0;
            let time = performance.now();
            let delta = (time - prevTime) / 1000;
            velocity.x -= velocity.x * 10.0 * delta;
            velocity.z -= velocity.z * 10.0 * delta;
            velocity.y -= 9.8 * 100.0 * delta; // 100.0 = mass
            direction.z = Number( moveForward ) - Number( moveBackward );
            direction.x = Number( moveLeft ) - Number( moveRight );
            direction.normalize(); // this ensures consistent movements in all directions
            if (moveForward || moveBackward) velocity.z -= direction.z * 3200.0 * delta;
            if (moveLeft || moveRight) velocity.x -= direction.x * 3200.0 * delta;
            if (onObject === true) {
                let hit = intersects[0];
                console.log(hit);
                velocity.y = Math.max(0, velocity.y);
                canJump = true;
            }
            controls.getObject().translateX( velocity.x * delta );
            controls.getObject().translateY( velocity.y * delta );
            controls.getObject().translateZ( velocity.z * delta );
            if (controls.getObject().position.y < 10) {
                velocity.y = 0;
                controls.getObject().position.y = 10;
                canJump = true;
            }
            prevTime = time;
        }

Unfortunately it doesn’t work. It keeps me at position.y = 10. My terrain is a bit big its about pos.x = 19100; pos.z = -19100 from edge to edge. The height of the terrain also ranges between pos.y = 0; pos.y = 2000.

I’ve also tried this:

if (onObject === true) {
                let hit = intersects[0];
                velocity.y = Math.max(hit.point.y, velocity.y);
                canJump = true;
      }

and if it does find an intersect the camera jitters up and down but sometimes it can’t even get an intersect even if there is a terrain below that is clearly intersecting.

Also sometimes the terrain is above the camera. So my idea was to cast a ray from above starting from the highest value for pos.y going all the way down to infinity and the first terrain mesh I hit I take the y position and set my controls to that position. But I can’t seem to make it work like that. How do I do this correctly?

Lastly, doing the idea above will put the camera at exactly the floor view. I want it to make it look like the camera is eye level. How do I offset it to make it seem like a first person view? To note, I’ve tried pos.y += 60 and this seems to put the camera on the eye level but it still doesn’t really fix the ray casting.

Thank you