Hi everyone,
I’ve been working on a project called FlightObserver 3D and I’m excited to share it with the community here. It’s a real-time flight tracking visualization that renders live aircraft positions on an interactive 3D globe, all running in the browser with three.js.
What it does:
-
Tracks live flights worldwide using ADS-B data from the OpenSky Network API
-
Renders a detailed 3D Earth with satellite imagery and elevation data
-
Shows aircraft positions, altitude, and tracks in real time as they move
-
Includes interactive controls for zooming, panning, and adjusting the view
-
Displays airports, terrain relief, and flight paths over the globe
A bit about the tech:
-
Built entirely with three.js for the 3D rendering pipeline
-
Uses satellite tile imagery and geospatial data from Esri, Maxar, and OpenStreetMap
-
Live flight data comes from the OpenSky Network API
-
The globe supports multiple zoom levels and smooth camera transitions
Screenshots:
Link: Airports, Relief, OpenSky, Tracks
I’d love to hear your thoughts — especially on performance optimization for rendering large numbers of moving objects, and any ideas for improving the visual experience. Feedback is very welcome.
Thanks for checking it out!

