Fit object group to page centre without breaking OrbitControls

What I have is an OrthographicCamera set up so that is has an isometric view of the scene and OrbitConrols added to allow for panning around and zooming but not for rotation.

What I’d like to have is a button that will centre the objects in a scene and zoom the OrthographicCamera so that the objects fit within the canvas area while keeping the isometric view, i.e. the angle between the camera.position and the camera.lookAt (control.target) point.

What I’ve tried is to set the controls.target at the centre of the bounding box of the objects in the scene.

I have 2 problems with the code at the moment.
The First is I couldn’t work out how to calculate the zoom level needed to make sure the objects in the scene are all in view. I’ve hard coded a value for just now.
The Second is that with the current code, if the camera is panned so that the objects appear nearly off the screen, either up or down, then when centred the angle of the camera changes. This was happening when the camera was panned far left or right but setting the max and min Azimuth Angle seems to prevent this.

The image above shows the scene when loaded then after centering when the camera was panned so the objects were going off the top of the screen.

I have tried a number of ways to do this after looking at answers to similar questions as this but am still having problems getting it to work.
current example of code in jsfiddle