FBXLoader Jest testing error

I keep getting this error when testing with jest. It’s pretty verbose but I’m still unable to figure out what’s wrong. It’s with my FBXLoader import:

Test suite failed to run

Jest encountered an unexpected token

This usually means that you are trying to import a file which Jest cannot parse, e.g. it's not plain JavaScript.

By default, if Jest sees a Babel config, it will use that to transform your files, ignoring "node_modules".

Here's what you can do:
     • If you are trying to use ECMAScript Modules, see https://jestjs.io/docs/en/ecmascript-modules for how to enable it.
     • To have some of your "node_modules" files transformed, you can specify a custom "transformIgnorePatterns" in your config.
     • If you need a custom transformation specify a "transform" option in your config.
     • If you simply want to mock your non-JS modules (e.g. binary assets) you can stub them out with the "moduleNameMapper" config option.

You'll find more details and examples of these config options in the docs:
    https://jestjs.io/docs/en/configuration.html

Details:

/node_modules/three/examples/jsm/loaders/FBXLoader.js:1
    ({"Object.<anonymous>":function(module,exports,require,__dirname,__filename,global,jest){import {
                                                                                             ^^^^^^

SyntaxError: Cannot use import statement outside a module

3 | // three
      4 | import { GridHelper, AxesHelper, PerspectiveCamera, Scene, WebGLRenderer, PointLight, AmbientLight, Euler, Quaternion, Vector3 } from 'three';
    > 5 | import { FBXLoader } from 'three/examples/jsm/loaders/FBXLoader';
        | ^
      6 |
      7 | import { PointerLockControls } from 'three/examples/jsm/controls/PointerLockControls';
      8 | // import { OrbitControls } from 'three/examples/jsm/controls/OrbitControls';

at Runtime.createScriptFromCode (node_modules/jest-runtime/build/index.js:1350:14)

Should I maybe import the FBXLoader differently?

2 Likes

Have you been able to resolve this issue?

Please don’t get excited when you see my reply as I honestly can’t remember :sweat_smile: I think what this error was, was the version of Jest or Stencil (they were not compatible at the time) and I think what I did was roll back to the previous version of Jest and the error went away. I think