Comparison with Bevy

I have a general question to make sure I do not miss anything big. Am I correct that Bevy game engine has nothing you can not find in Three.js in terms of graphics programming? (Or in other words how relevant is Three.js codebase to modern trendy engines you can find on GitHub?)

One needs to know both Bevy and Three.js in sufficient depth, in order to compare them. My expectation is that it is possible to find things in Bevy, which have no immediate analogous elements in Three.js, so you have to write some Three.js/GLSL code to achieve these things.

For example, Bevy has radius for point lights that implements spherical area lights – spherical_area_lights . I’m not sure there is a direct analogous light in Three.js. BTW, the Bevy example is rather strange to me. I’m not sure the reflections of the spherical lights should look as they are rendered. Also, I’d like to see how Bevy’s spherical lights are reflected from curved surfaces and how they cast shadows.

I feel 80 percent of codebase do exactly the same in both engines. No paradigm shift or conceptual novelties except little nuances ofcourse. Want to check my feelings about it on forum. (Speaking about graphics part only.)

Three.js is on top of WebGL. Most likely Bevy is also on top of WebGL, so there is no fundamental difference in the graphical core. However, the user experience might be completely different. So, if one graphical scene is made easily in one of the systems, this does not mean it is easily done in the other. This goes both directions.

One of the strengths of Three.js is that you can quickly create a minimal working example that runs in the browser via a free online IDE, such as JSFiddle, CodeSandbox, CodePen, et al. and quickly demonstrate a concept without your intended audience needing to install Three.js locally and get a dev environment up and running.

E.g.,

Can you do that with Bevy?