Blurry textures at a distance

I’m running into a strange problem, textures appear blurry at distance. here’s a model up-close:

looks fine, here’s the same model with camera being a bit further out:

looks supper blurred out. I’m wondering what the problem is. Is it sampling issue or mipmaps - i’m a bit lost here.

Um, how does it look without mipmaps? BTW: Have tried setting Texture.anisotropy?

Mips ON

Anisotropy 1:

Anisotropy 16:

Mips OFF

Anisotropy 1:

Anisotropy 16:

seems it’s mips that are the culprit, though anisotropic filtering does help a bit, it seems it’s the “minFilter” that is playing tricks. Hmm… why though? Bad mips?

Not sure :thinking: . The generation done by WebGL (via generateMipmap()) should actually produce a proper mipmap chain.

Is there some way to view the mipmaps texture?

I’m sure there is @looee, the mips are actually a part of the texture set, since it’s DDS (DXT), but i’m a total noob and I don’t know how, except for some painful binary engineering. I used ImageMagic to generate the textures from PNG, for reference here’s the command:

magick convert %1.png -quality 100 -define dds:compression=dxt5 -define dds:fast-mipmap=false -define dds:cluster-fit=true %1_dtx5.dds

It feels like mip-switching is too agressive, like the WebGL just switches to lower mip level way too early

1 Like