Wall building in a level-editor

I made such for building houses in my game as well, it handles an arbitrary amount of crossings as it’s also for actual paths/roads. For roads these nodes also work as bezier anchors with additional tangents but unless you don’t need curved walls that’s not relevant :smile_cat:

The base layout is simple, you connect lines with nodes, each segment you extrude with 2 lines using a simple line intersection test for each sides adjacent segments, this way the layout also can get easily changed. Any additional info doesn’t need more than the adjacent segments, such as wall and corner normals. Additionally closed segment patches get a sorted inner (room walls) order to determine the right wall side and to iterate along the inner wall vertices.

Rooms also get sorted, this is helpful for various things, such as to determine if that room inside a room is a room or just a hole in the layout or culling.

Here’s a simple view in 2D

Or when used for simple road decals . Again the requirements for both are the same, the extrusion with the widths of the segments happens here too, as different sized paths/walls could join, and the intersections of the outer segments are needed.

You see you can end up with very steep corners, so you should work with caps which can be the following for example, you just need to handle too steep connections, for building houses i limited the angles generally, you could do it like Sims with 90 and 45 degree angles.

But if you don’t need more than 45/90 degree angles you can also work with a grid. It’s easier to implement and the result can be the same then as with segments, as you don’t have to extrude a wall for each cell, but you can join multiple walls in a row to one. With nodes you’re not limited to sizes or angles.

7 Likes