Use THREE.BufferGeometry() and THREE.MeshStandardMaterial create mesh ,abnormal visual effects

I create 2 boxes with different methed, create box1 in THREE.BoxGeometry(),create box2 in THREE.BufferGeometry(),I gave them the same material,THREE.MeshStandardMaterial.but the final effect presented, they look very different.
The code:

let color=new THREE.Color(1,1,1);
const material = new THREE.MeshStandardMaterial({ color: color,metalness: 1.0,roughness: 0.25 });
let boxgeom = new THREE.BoxGeometry(l, w, w)
box = new THREE.Mesh(boxgeom, material);
const vertices = [
-1, -1, 1,   // 0
1, -1, 1,    // 1
1, 1, 1,     // 2
-1, 1, 1,    // 3
-1, -1, -1,  // 4
1, -1, -1,   // 5
1, 1, -1,    // 6
-1, 1, -1    // 7
];
const indices2 = [
0, 1, 2,
2, 3, 0,
5, 4, 7,
7, 6, 5,
4, 0, 3,
3, 7, 4,
1, 5, 6,
6, 2, 1,
3, 2, 6,
6, 7, 3,
4, 5, 1,
1, 0, 4
];

const geometry = new THREE.BufferGeometry();
geometry.setAttribute('position', new THREE.BufferAttribute(new Float32Array(vertices), 3));
geometry.setIndex(new THREE.BufferAttribute(new Uint32Array(indices2), 1));
geometry.computeVertexNormals();
const mesh2 = new THREE.Mesh(geometry, material);

The visual effect is as follows:

You can’t compute proper normals (and texture coordinates) if the corner vertices are shared across different sides of the cube. I suggest you have a closer look how BoxGeometry is implemented.

It happens to me too, but I don’t know how it happens,But most of the time it’s normal

mugen87 give the valuable answer,with BufferGeometry function ,you should independently handle each plane,every point belonging to only one plane, and must give every point a normal vector which perpendicular to the plane where the point is located

2 Likes

ok.I`ll have a try