The skin of ruins - online art piece

Hey !
I made this art piece this month. https://www.theskinofruins.art/

It’s a planet with a constantly changing environment.
Each time you visit, you will be able to see how it is changing. The future of this universe is uncertain: your interactions may cause this ecosystem to decline and then disappear. You can fly over it without fear of impacting it. On the other hand, a simple click can have disastrous consequences on its development. Fortunately, another entity is floating on the surface. If you come into contact with it, it will give you the ability to change shadow into light. Take care of it so that others can benefit from it.

And I’d like to thank the threejs maintainers and the community, without you it would have been really shitty! Love you all.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t know where to start really. I loved the experience. It felt so organic and full of life that I lost myself into holding left click and … moving about. I had a feeling of both fear and curiosity healing/destroying that organic surface I almost felt guilty, too.

Nuff poetry : loved it, awesome experience. And very well made. It touched me.

2 Likes

This reminds me of the book Solaris. It’s about an intelligent planet where the single extraterrestrial entity is a boundless ocean. Scientists would attempt to interact with it, but they were unable to understand if they were being understood, even though they could visibly see that it was somehow reacting to their actions.

3 Likes

I like these ghost-like white creatures :slight_smile: :+1:

1 Like

Well spotted!
Solaris was one of the key inspirations in this project, especially Tarkovsky’s movie.

2 Likes

I also lost myself a lot when developping!
Thanks for this beautiful comment :wink:

About Solaris. Love both book and film (Tarkovsky’s version).