Points with custom point geometry instead of square/circle

so you do the exact same thing as me when you multiply text_size and psz. that is exactly what I have stored in the repeat buffer in the screenshot above, after that I add the offset. it is the exact same thing :frowning:

I can see how changing the point size in your example changes the output size. But in my case that would mean that the images should appear in their true dimensions, which they don’t. multiplying the original width and height by a factor of 2.0, for example, only results in 4 images appearing within the same geometry window. this makes sense.

as @Chaser_Code mentioned, it seems that the point size is limited to some size, which is why my images are scaled down. This becomes obvious when experimenting with different number ranges. With gl_PointSize ranging from 0 to 10, the difference in the size of some images displayed is drastic. With anything over the unit of 10, all the image sizes seem to become stuck at some value. for example if the gl_PointSize is 300 for one point and 400 for another - the points are of the same size.

Test webgl Point Size Range: 1 - 1024
https://alteredqualia.com/tmp/webgl-maxparams-test/

Whoa, Way to go @Chaser_Code ! That’s totally out of the box, you are genious!

1 Like

uh-huh! exposed. seems my Point Size Range is 1-64! is that something specific to my machine or can it be changed?

I found this discussion Adjust GL_POINTS size - #7 by arekkusu - OpenGL: Basic Coding - Khronos Forums. in the last answer they recommend using quads. is this why you were recommending InstancedBufferGeometry, @Chaser_Code ?

Yes. Standard technology in videogames. Somebody also using InstancedMesh with custom attributes.
In custom shader we can also use array of textures if no all of textures can be placed in one texture atlas.

1 Like