Model size issue when loading GLTF model in scene

I took the starter code for loading a GLTF model into the scene and I wanted to loaded some models into the canvas.

I tried a dummy example with loading a Duck.gltf file from a folder called glTF that contains Duck.gltf, Duck0.bin, and DuckCM.png files. I am able to successfully load it into the scene with the following code below. This also loads in another windows program called 3D viewer successfully.

But when I try to load my own model.gltf file, it appears to be scaled down in size and I have to zoom all the way in to see it. The model.gltf file resides in a folder called my_model which contains the model.gltf file, several model_0001.bin, model_0002.bin, …, model_0088.bin files and couple png texture files.

I also have a 3mf version of the same model and when I load the 3mf version model.3mf instead of the model.gltf file format, I get the correct large size of the model being displayed. How can I increase the model.gltf size so I can visually see it in the canvas, and why is there a discrepancy between the 3mf size and gltf size?

// Instantiate a loader
const loader = new GLTFLoader();

// Load a glTF resource
loader.load(
	// resource URL
	'my_model/model.gltf',
    //'glTF/Duck.gltf',
	// called when the resource is loaded
	function ( gltf ) {
		scene.add( gltf.scene );
		gltf.animations; // Array<THREE.AnimationClip>
		gltf.scene; // THREE.Group
	        gltf.scenes; // Array<THREE.Group>
		gltf.cameras; // Array<THREE.Camera>
		gltf.asset; // Object
	},
	// called while loading is progressing
	function ( xhr ) {
		console.log( ( xhr.loaded / xhr.total * 100 ) + '% loaded' );
	},
	// called when loading has errors
	function ( error ) {
		console.log( 'An error happened' );
	}
);

Can you provide your model file?

The units in gltf files are in meters while the 3mf file had the units in mm. So a unit of 0.1 in gltf corresponds to 10 cm in reality, but since I was designing everything in my canvas in terms of mm, the 0.1 is considered 0.1 mm and hence appears small. Is there a way to scale up the gltf model size?

Two ways:

gltf.scene.scale.multiplyScalar(1000);
gltf.scene.scale.set(1000, 1000, 1000);
1 Like