How save and load scene with cannon-es physics

I want to save and load a scene that contains cannon-es physics.
Myscene contains simple 3D objects that can be moved by mouse drag.
All objects have collision properties with cannon.body.
I can save the scene with scene.toJSON();
and load via const scene = new THREE.ObjectLoader().parse( json ); It is working.
The objects are in the place where they were placed. Light and textures also load properly. However, the physical properties are lost.
I assume that these properties are registered in world (const world = new CANNON.World).
Scenes can be loaded via THREE.ObjectLoader(). I did not find a loader for CANNON.World.
So it won’t be possible to save and load a scene with cannon physics?

The answer is both No and Yes.

It is No, because Three.js and CannonES have a separate representations of the virtual scene, and Three.js does not know (and does not care) about CannonES’s world. That’s why saving a scene to JSON and then loading it ignores all physics properties.

It is Yes, because it is possible to save and load physics world … but someone (you?) has to write code to convert physics properties to JSON and vice versa. A possible workflow is:

1. all important physics properties are stored in userData property of their Three.js counterparts
  2. then scene.toJSON() will save these physics properties in the JSON structure
  3. when such JSON is loaded, the used data properties will also be loaded
  4. after the scene is loaded, the physics world must be rebuilt by traversing all Three.js objects, reading their userData and recreating the corresponding CannonES bodies

Steps 2 and 3 above should work out of the box. However, steps 1 and 4 are not implemented in the default Three.js codebase. So either you have to use some third-party tool (if such exists), or write your own. For simple 3D objects (as said in your post), this should not be that difficult.

I had already suspected that there is no default THREE.js codebase for this.
Also, I haven’t found any third-party tool that can load the physical data to the scene.

In the console I saw that the physical properties are stored in the object world (const world = new CANNON.World).
I save the object world in a JSON file - for example world.json

As you described in #4 of your answer, the physics world needs to be rebuilt from the world.json.
I’ll try that now.
In a small test I was able to successfully change a value in world.

If you process the Three.js scene and the CannonES world separately, how do you plan to rebuild the links between objects and bodies?

I can’t say that yet, I have to find out.