Fiber OrbitControls

Please tell me how can I correctly add OrbitControls from three so that it works as it should?)

this is all wrong →
const OrbitController = ({…props}) => {
const { camera, gl } = useThree();
const controls = new OrbitControls(camera, gl.domElement);
useFrame((state) => controls.update());
};

• const OrbitController = ({…props}) => {
    const { camera, gl } = useThree();
    useFrame (
    () => {
    controls.enableDamping = true;
    controls.minDistance = 3;
    controls.maxDistance = 20;
    },
    [camera, gl]
    );
    return null;
    };

built-in OrbitControls, has not been updated for a long time, and does not work as it should

I also want to express my gratitude to the developers for such projects, thank you very much for your work!

Just import this by Drei.

import { useRef, useState } from 'react'
import { Canvas, useFrame } from '@react-three/fiber'
import { OrbitControls, Plane } from '@react-three/drei'
import * as THREE from 'three'

function myPlane(props) {
  const ref = useRef()

return (
    <mesh
  {...props}
  ref={ref}
>
  <planeGeometry />
</mesh>
  )
}

export default function App() {
  return (
    <Canvas>
      <ambientLight intensity={0.5} />
      <directionalLight position={[5, 5, 5]} intensity={1} />
      <Plane material-color="red" args={[5, 5]} position={[0, 0, -1]} />
      <OrbitControls />
    </Canvas>
  )
}

And if you want set some properties, for instance:

<OrbitControls
        enableDamping={true}
        dampingFactor={0.05}
        minDistance={3}
        maxDistance={20}
        maxAzimuthAngle={Math.PI / 4}
      />

also study this https://docs.pmnd.rs/react-three-fiber/api/hooks

useFrame is your frameloop, it fires 120 times per second. if you run const controls = new OrbitControls(camera, gl.domElement) in there it will create 120 OrbitControls per second.

to create OC in the render function is also wrong, you would re-create it every time the component renders. if you need persistent values in react you use useState or useMemo. ideally you want to create it every time the camera changes:

const { camera, gl } = useThree()
const controls = useMemo(() => new OrbitControls(camera, gl.domElement), [gl, camera])

but why go through all this if it’s already abstracted. drei has hundreds of helpers, it would make sense to use them.

Greetings. For Drei, when the window changes, the scene in telegram apps disappears, just as it happened with OrbitControls before, but in the new version of OrbitControls everything works fine) I can’t figure out what’s stopping it)

Greetings. This method works, but does not work controls.enableDamping = true; As soon as the finger leaves the screen, everything stops, without continuing the movement.

Is the rest of canvas updating? Could be some fancy attempt at optimisation that when the user doesn’t interact with the app, it stops the canvas from updating. Try changing background color of the scene continuously when user doesn’t interact with the controls.

And so I think that you can directly add OrbitControls, and somehow add controls.update() to the render, as is usual, but not quite) It seems to me that the solution is simple)

if you want damping you need to call update in your frame loop (useFrame). again, this is all done in the drei OrbitControls abstraction.

this is the code: drei/src/core/OrbitControls.tsx at bd19791413c8636e231f40a594673cfed6138957 · pmndrs/drei · GitHub

it takes care of all the pesky boilerplate. if you do that yourself you will end up with the same exact code.

Greetings. For Drei, when the window changes, the scene in telegram apps disappears

i don’t know what you mean, but this isn’t drei. nothing will disappear when you use OC, or when the window size changes, this is for certain a bug in your code.

ps,

if you really wanted to do this yourself, what will make this even harder is that three/examples/jsm/controls/OrbitControls has a longstanding bug. it creates side effects (registers events) in the constructor which is bad because constructors don’t have cleanup, that class cannot be dynamically instanciated without leaving traces behind.

the bug ticket is from 2020 Move side effects from Controls classes into connect/disconnect pairs · Issue #20575 · mrdoob/three.js · GitHub
the fix was added 2022 as a pr Add OrbitControls connect method by alexandernanberg · Pull Request #23832 · mrdoob/three.js · GitHub
it most likely won’t be fixed, all other controls have that bug as well.

this is why drei uses OrbitControls from three-stdlib. so please just use drei

import { OrbitControls } from '@react-three/drei'

<Canvas>
  <OrbitControls />
</Canvas>

import { OrbitControls } from “three/examples/jsm/controls/OrbitControls”;
import { Canvas, useThree, useFrame } from “@react-three/fiber”;

function OrbitController () {
const { camera, gl } = useThree()
controls.enableDamping = true;
controls.enablePan = false;
controls.enableZoom = false;
useFrame(() => controls.update(), [gl, camera])
}

But this is how everything works very nicely. Thank you!
The scene remains in place, I think this is due to the specifics of telefram, I’ll have to think about it later)

Yes, the solution is not entirely clear, the load is heavy) I’ll think about it and write more)

something like this)