Features like... coming in 3js?

Hello,

I am currently debating between using BJS or 3JS.

I just need to know if you plan to implement features like triplanar mapping (for using it with the highest quality materials) and a programmatically accessible node system (to help implement tri-planar in an easy fashion).

Not experienced enough to implement that myself though…

I like the “by default” performance 3JS has.

Thanks!

Hi! Three.js was have tri-planar but cant find now. This custom tri-planar shader
Custom splat shader

Yes, but as you said, it cannot be found anymore.
So to me == non existent…

A new node material system is currently being developed. Primarily for the new WebGPURenderer but it is also usable in context of WebGL.

There is currently no example that demonstrates tri-planar mapping. Because of its special character, I don’t think it will be part of the default material implementations. Users will have to implement it with a custom node setup.

If you want to see the current status of the node material, check out the current WebGPU examples (e.g. with Chrome Canary).

1 Like

Found triplanar and etc in 132version: webgl_materials_nodes.html

Side note: That was the “old” material system which has been removed with r138.

hey @Mugen87 - side question as I havent been following; are you saying that there will be a node based system for Three.JS coming (like touchdesigner etc)? If so will it include geometry nodes? Sorry if this is hijacking the thread.

Hi. If you can’t make it work with the node system that is currently in development, I have an alternative library for writing shaders for three.js which also comes with an implementation of triplanar mapping which might interest you.

Here’s the implementation of triplanar mapping which is just a port of GLSL code I found.

Here’s a small application demonstrating how to us it.

I can’t say that this library is any better than what is currently in development though. I started developing this before I knew about it. The physical lighting implementation it comes only has partial support for the features existing in MeshStandardMaterial, so it might not be sufficient for your needs.

Given that this is not part of three.js, it might not be helping you in your decision between three.js and others. However, it might demonstrate that there is a strong community around the core three.js library with people excited about 3d rendering willing to share what they have built with others.

are you saying that there will be a node based system for Three.JS coming (like touchdesigner etc)? If so will it include geometry nodes? Sorry if this is hijacking the thread.

A node-based materials system is in development now. It’s functional but experimental, there is no documentation yet. I don’t know that anyone in the three.js community is working on anything like Blender and Houdini’s geometry nodes at this time.

And last but not least -as the term ‘node’ meaning a lot of things lately- remember there is a node-based shader editor. Is it based on current node material system? I don’t know :thinking: