A little bit more feature for the editor

in the editor we really have a very few option to create a model. its looks like the editor missing its potential. it could be a “blender on browser” or something like that. again, i dont say “lets add all the blender’s features” , i just want a little bit more option like…

-> in asset creation we need to divide a square in pieces both horizontaly and vertically
-> “extract the segment” option is definetly needed.
-> and a “mirror” also would be good
etc…
etc…

i am watching the editor since its launch and it seems its going nowhere. i just wanted to point out. thanks.

It’s not supposed to be ‘blender in the browser’ - that’s an intentional design choice. I guess we’d call it a ‘scene editor’ rather than a modelling and animation program like blender. We’re not going to add geometry editing features.

However, there are still plenty of useful features that could be added - I’m not sure how people would feel about adding things like the mirror, but personally that sounds like an ok addition.

The main thing holding it back is that nobody has taken the initiative to work on it. It’s open source software, which means that the only person who’s going to add the features you want… is you!

2 Likes

Kind of “Blender on browser” is clara.io.

1 Like

Or www.vectary.com

1 Like

When reading this it sounds nobody has worked on the editor for years. However, @mrdoob and others continuously improved it over time. The contributor @Temdog007 lately filed many PRs so the editor supports more of three.js features. Take a look at the related github issue in order to see that the editor moves forward.

A next possible huge step in the editor’s code base is the migration to ES6 modules. There is already a first draft PR tackling this task:

2 Likes

That’s true but the PRs will also depend on our (the collaborators) reviews. So even if a developer invests an incredible amount of time in the editor, it’s still necessary to verify and test the changes. Stuff like take will take some time (possibly weeks) depending on the size and complexity of the PR.

non-programmers like me see the editor and they feel like “blender on my browser… wow!” and then a dissappoinment follows. and they leave and never understand what it was for.

on the other hand it holds great potential. it has something clara.io doesn’t and its simplicity. iam sure it will reach the fame that clara hasn’t, in one week, if people begin to share their creations on social media. at that point for sure it will need a new name :slight_smile:

2 Likes