How Raycaster threshold works?

Thanks for reply! I appreciate the input.

Ok so after spending some time reading the code in Three.Points, here is what what seems to happen (for simplicity I used case for indexed buffer geometry)

• boundingSphere of the Points geometry is calculated
  • the boundingSphere is converted to world coordinates and the threshold value is added to its radius (1)
  • if ray is not intersecting the sphere, undefined is returned (no intersects, early return)
  • if ray is intersecting then localThreshold is calculated reusing threshold parameter which is divided by the mean of xyz scale components (?) of the Points (2)
  • localThresholdSq is calculated
  • index bounds of the geometry (first and last index of attribute components) is determined
  • looping through all of the indexes within the bounds
    - getting the x component of position attribute ( to get current vertex position)
    - testing the vertex of Points mesh against testPoint by passing
    • current vertex position,
    • index,
    • localThresholdSq,
    • world coordinates matrix,
    • raycaster object,
    • output intersects array and
    • current instance of Points)

In testPoint function we:

• calculate rayToPointDistanceSq
  • if the above distanceSq is less than localTresholdSq (if i understand well then if no Points scaling is used and no change in default threshold value then this will be equal to 1?), so if rayToPointDistanceSq is less than 1
    - we define intersectPoint by calling rays.closestPointToPoint,
    - if distance from origin of the ray to the intersectPoint is within near/far bounds of the raycaster, then we push intersect data to intersects array.

so questions arise:

(1) is using threshold to check both intersects on mesh level and vertex level a good idea?
it seem that more precise would be to check bounding box, not bounding sphere, on Points mesh without any threshold to early return if there is no intersect. Is bounding sphere better performing?

(2) when calculating localThresholdSq

const localThreshold = threshold / ( ( this.scale.x + this.scale.y + this.scale.z ) / 3 );
const localThresholdSq = localThreshold * localThreshold;

what is achieved by having such ‘mean scale’ value from points mesh to calculate local threshold value?
in case scale.x = 2 and scale.y = 0.5 and scale.z = 0.5 we apply scale but the value will be the same. I don’t understand this. :thinking:

I assume that with Three.Points we make a gl.drawArray or gl.drawElements with gl.POINTS somewhere, along with defined gl.PointSize in shader. This basically will always render a kind of ‘squared sprites’ (as someone mentioned in here). The square will be of defined side = gl.PointSize (which can vary per vertex if attribute for it is used).

Could the threshold be derived from the max pointSize (if size attribute is passed) or just a gl.PointSize (is it defined in pointMaterial.size property?)
so instead of if ( rayPointDistanceSq < localThresholdSq ) we could have if ( rayPointDistanceSq < maxPointSizeSq) ?