Tesseract - Open World Planetary Engine

That’s very impressive ! I hope to have your level one day

3 Likes

Impressive and beautiful work! The rocks have very natural details. (The trees could be less cross-shaped and more “golden ratio Fermat spiral-shaped”, though.)

Will any of this be free or open-source?

So coool!!
It’s cooler if it’s open source.:yum:

This sounds absolutely awesome! Fantastic work.

1 Like

WHEN is this coming out?

Which you’re refering to? I’ll release the IndexedVolume separate from Tesseract.

@Fyrestar The engine you made

I’ll release the IndexedVolume soon, Tesseract next then, but i can’t tell a exact date yet since i can only work on it in my spare time.

2 Likes

I’m very interested in IndexedVolume,How soon will it be released?

1 Like

Incredible demo.

1 Like

It will come soon as possible, unfortunatelly im sick since longer right now but you can definetly expect it this year, probably within next weeks, since there is only some documentation to finish.

There also has been a quiet a lot progress on Tesseract in past time, especially the universe model with solar systems and galaxies, as well as advanced fractal functions with erosion and statically composited fractal noise for more complexity while being less expensive, i’ll provide some updates on it soon.

3 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that ,and I hope you’ll get well soon.I have already followed you in Github. Will you release the IndexedVolume and Tesseract on Github?

1 Like

There is an interesting GDC talk from Sean Murray on generating the worlds for No Mans Sky. He talks about how he started using satallite data for terrain generation but found it was boring in game. Lots of great information on procedural generation and inspiration for engine building too.

Building Worlds in No Man’s Sky Using Math(s)

2 Likes

NMS was quiet a inspiration for me as well as Star Citizen, but this engine is going a little different route by it’s architecture which also aims to give the best possible performance for browser engines so it only takes minimal impact on the budget, leaving most room for the actual game. I never really heard about technical details how they solved various problems, mostly that they at least take advantage of 64bit what isn’t an option for WebGL. I think NMS is mostly based on a DC implementation for the close area, Tesseract mixes faster GPU tiles with volume terrain features only where it’s required, and another technique to maintain surfaces details like mountains in far LOD levels, this also helped with LOD since caves for example can be visible form a far distance while not being actually generated yet.

Since it aims to be a generic engine not being only controlled procedurally i had to work on different concepts and combining these without limiting each other. It can be fully automated/procedurally but also mixed with with different levels of manual control, starting from parameters, to sources and to hand-crafted data with procedural brushes composed on different levels.

Recently i’ve also focused on adding a faster method of procedural generation, like i mentioned above, statically composited layers of pre-baked terrain types which give a very detailed and natural result while being very cheap compared to the required noise functions. Basically when creating sources it always will be a mix of composed data and purely generated as very huge scaled sharp features like a several hundred kilometers long river cant be derived from static data, while all the details and terrain features can.

It’s a lot fun working out different noise features, but it’s also important to keep performance in mind, for example a complex varying but natural landscape can be also archived with feature blending of static maps and masks with different characteristics being very fast and predictable in terms of performance.

3 Likes

@Fyrestar is it possible to see the code for your engine somewhere?

No it’s closed in development yet, it’s been quiet a lot work for years and more to maintain, it will be available with 2 licences but also early access for partners 2020.

2 Likes

This looks amazing! Awesome job.

1 Like

Hello,

any website / place that present your work, incoming plans?
Do you use pure webgl or is it made using Three?

Thanks anyway

1 Like

I’m mainly focusing on the project itself currently, there will be more details and updates soon with more material and the IDE, here while development and at mevedia.com when available.

It’s using THREE, the engine itself is rather independend and could be adapted to others, though out of all bare WebGL render engines THREE is best suited.

1 Like

Awesome!

Please expand to more features around procedural generation, shaders, landscapes, noises, LOD, that will be the first engine to propose that kind of things (hopefully) in the market:

https://dexyfex.com/ (galaxy wide for example).
About performance matter, the example above is very tiny in term of megabytes for very huge multiple galaxies. That’s because none is stored and just procedurally generated on the fly when you approach a celestial body. This could be something to exploit. “If no players never approached a celestial body, display of it from a long-distance stay as it is, a star dot. But, when someone approaching a specific celestial body, details are loaded and possibly saved on a database”. Just thoughts here.

Another cool example is Star Citizen approach, when they do “Container Streaming” on both client and server side. I’m not sure what’s hidden behind this term of container streaming, but this looks to have greatly improved their FPS on Star Citizen. More on their development journals.

Anyway, that’s a wonderful project and looking closer to it. And using Three.

Thanks for reply.